8.11.2013

The garden in August




         
                 Eggplants: here's how I like to cook them!  

Gardneing this year has been good, for the most part. Between thunderstorms & insainly strong wind, it has been very hot and dry. We've run the sprinklers regularly every night for the past 3 months. But I have actually been able to stay on top of things a bit more, then in years past. (Even then, there are many weeds.) It's been a constant battle: me vs. weeds.

Here's what growing this summer:
Eggplants, green beans, amazingly sweet corn, deliciously crunchy carrots, red onions, squash, zucchinis, watermelons, & several varieties of tomatoes & peppers. There are also lots of flowers in the garden & yard blooming.

My back is sore from all the beans I've been picking!
So far, I've picked over 70 pounds! We have canned 72 quarts of beans.
(There's still some beans out there...)
I had never canned anything before - but it's really not hard to do.
It's just an all-day-stay-by-the-stove process.
The kitchen gets hot. 


Here's another post from last year; it has my favorite recipe for green beans. Check it out! 

My garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment