Here is a recipe we used the other night - these rolls turned out AMAZING - perfect for Sunday dinner. The rolls were so good that I ate way too many. They were so good that wanted to share the recipe with you & everyone else who loves bread.
BUTTERMILK & HONEY REFRIGERATOR ROLLS
PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES, PLUS 1 1/2 HOURS RISING, PLUS OVERNIGHT IN THE REFRIGERATOR // COOK TIME 20-25 MINUTES // MAKES: 18 ROLLS
|Recipe & image via Mary Janes Farm magazine ~|
What you need:
- 3 cups white flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 t sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 10 T butter, divided
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 2 eggs
1. In large bowl, combine white & wheat flours; set aside.
2. In another large bowl or stand mixer bowl, combine yeast, warm water & sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until yeast is foamy.
3. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine buttermilk, 8 T butter, honey & salt. Heat over low, stirring frequently, until the honey is dissolved & butter begins to melt; remove from heat.
4. Test the milk to make sure it isn't too hot for the yeast— it shouldn't feel hot on the inside of your wrist. Pour the milk mixture into the yeast mixture; add eggs & about 2 cups of flour. Stir (or mix, using stand mixer) until combined. Slowly work in remaining flour. After all of the flour has been added, knead the dough for 8-10 minutes.
5. Form the dough into a ball & place it back into the large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until it is more then doubled in size.
6. Test the rise; poke the bread with your finger - if the indentation stays, it is ready, if the dough bounces back, let it rise a little longer.
7. Once the dough has risen, press it down completely. Melt remaining 2 T butter & lightly grease a cookie sheet. (Save the extra butter for brushing on top of the rolls.)
8. Divide the dough into 18 pieces & shape each into a ball. Place rolls on cookie sheet 1/2 inch apart, brush butter on top, cover loosely with plastic & refrigerate overnight.
9. An hour before serving remove from fridge, let them warm for about 30 min, preheat oven to 350'f & bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown. Serve warm with butter. They melt in your mouth. Mmm.
Enjoy & leave me a comment if you tried them! I'd love to hear from you!